[AMRadio] Wanted: Receiver - New England

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 01:23:39 EST 2008

JT Croteau wrote:
>    AM 75M and 40M coverage is my primary interest at this time, I will
> NEVER be using the radio to tune in slopbucket nor CWer.  SWL and 160M
> coverage would be nice as well but it will be a couple years before I
> have space for a 160M antenna.
>
>    Hi-Fidelity is near the top of my must haves but not if it's
> results in a huge hit on receiver performance.  However, I definitely
> don't want bottom of the barrel communications grade audio.  I've been
> in some shacks where the audio fills the room and you can feel the
> audio down to your bones.  I want to achieve this or as close as I can
> get within my budget.

Define "Hi-Fidelity"?  Just because you can 'hear' the audio better,
makes it hi-fi?

Hell, bubba.. if that's all you want, get some 18" woofers and a pair of
tweeters, lash 'em up in a line-amp configuration, and take the 8-ohm
output from your rice-box and drive them big speakers.  You'd be
surprised what a -big- speaker will do, on a radio that you're used to
listening to, that has a speaker about the size of a quarter

What about near-channel interference?  Tighten up the selectivity?  If
you think that 6kc is 'narrow' what's gonna happen when some ssb'er
snuggles up >2kc below ya?  (and you -know- they will!)

Any good ol' Hallicrafter or Hammarlund receiver would do you good.  The
HQ-170 ~ HQ-180 is a good receiver... SP-600, SX-73, National's are
good... see what they go for.  Occasionally one shows up here...

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR