[AMRadio] 7160

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 10:43:33 EST 2008

Mike Duke, K5XU wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> The Tom that I'm thinking of was in Langtree, TX.

Sounds right.  The A A 5 what ever that I was thinking of was in
Arkansas.  I met him at the Clairmore, OK hamfest back in about 2001 or
2002.  I've got a picture of he and I someone on this network of
computers but with nearly a terra byte of total storage space on the lan
it's hard to locate things.  I need to get better organized :-)

> He talked with W5MEU a lot, and with Vern, Wb0SUJ, on 1985.

That's a project I want to try, but can't get too excited about due to
the lack of real estate.  I've always wanted to have a decent station
setup here for one sixty.  I know that John talked regularly with Fred,
W5JKD (Jack, King and a Deuce) up in Priddy, Texas.  Jerry, N5CBW is
very near where Fred's QTH was, and reported a couple of days ago that
there's now not even any reference of a building that was on that
property.  JKD Fred, CBW Jerry and Ozona Bob, W5PYT were related
(cousins, I believe) to each other.

> Some of the last AM contacts made by Alton, W5FAP, were also on 7160.

W5 Fried Apple Pie.  Ol' Alton has only been gone now for about a year.
He was 99 years and 6, or 8 months, when he passed.

Along in about 1999 or 2000, Jeff/N5ECP, John/WA5BXO, Roy/W5MRY,
Otis/K5SWK, Geoff/KA5THB, Yogie/KC5MIP, Alton/W5FAP, Bill/N5XPZ and a
couple of others all gathered up in San Antonio and went to visit
John/W5MEU after he was relegated to an 'assisted living' house on the
North side of San Antonio.  At that time, I believe it was John/BXO that
asked Alton how old he was, then.  Alton said "I'm Ninety Two years
Young!" and with out grabbing the arms of the chair, stood straight up,
and walked down the hallway as if he was in his mid 30's.  Alton kept
himself in pretty good shape, physically.

I also remember, back in the 'glory days' of 7.160, when brother
Noel/W5FAO was on the air in Waco, Mil/K5LKM was in Columbus and Ken
Smith, W5FLV was on the air in Bellaire, TX.  Back then, Bellaire was
South and East of Houston, between downtown Houston and Sugarland.  Now,
Bellaire (and Sugarland, for that matter) are all incorporated into the
conglomeration that has become the 'Greater Metro Houston area' which
encompasses from Conroe to La Port, and from Brookshire to nearly
Winnie, TX.  Guaranteed, it's a mess!

Good memories, Mike!  Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR