[AMRadio] 40M AM?

Bob Macklin macklinbob at msn.com
Mon Feb 18 12:00:34 EST 2008

Yesterday I was monitoring the 20M CW contest activity.

I wanted to see how well the DSP soundcard TTY software handled the
background noise. I was using the SB-301 in the USB position rather the CW
position.

One of the programs I have on the computer is HamScope. It is mostly meant
for digital modes but has a CW  mode.

I was surprised at how well it could copy CW when the CW was obviously
generated by another computer. It had a 99% correctness. This does not
happen when the CW is sent by hand. If the sender is really good it might
copy 75% but most of the time it is less than 50%.

My observation yesterday was that a significant amount of the contesting was
being done by computers.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa,