[AMRadio] 40M AM?

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Mon Feb 18 14:11:38 EST 2008

> Phil LaMarche wrote:
>> AND some one who's license is 59 years and the brain of a 69 year old
>> that
>> doesn't work like it did, should be grandfathered in.
>
> Not to sound 'age discriminatory' or anything, but haven't we 'given
> away' enough, already?
>
> -Geoff/W5OMR

IIRC, in the pre-incentive licensing days, you could have your licence class
upgraded to Extra with no additional examination, if you could show
documented proof that you held a US government-issued amateur radio licence
prior to a certain date in 1917, the date in which amateurs were shut down
for World War One.  In 1968, that would have meant 50 years prior.

Someone who passed the General exam 59 years ago has already demonstrated in
front of an FCC examiner, more knowledge about radio than someone who passes
the Extra class to-day.  There was simply more purely radio-related material
on the exams in those days, and the tests were structured to require more
in-depth knowledge.

Don k4kyv