[AMRadio] 40M AM?

Bob Macklin macklinbob at msn.com
Mon Feb 18 14:27:50 EST 2008

Pete, wa2cwa comments:

" Some need an incentive. Having a few extra frequencies to me isn't much of
an incentive."

That's the way I felt about it. It did not seem worth the trouble for the
small Extra space that only seemed to be active during contests.

No I have been hearing about the East Coast AM people moving down to 80M to
get out of the Ghetto. I don't have that problem here.

The PNW AM group operates (ONLY) on 3870 in the early evening before the
band goes long. Then they go do something else.

Five years ago I could copy the Calif. AM group on 14,286 in the late
afternoon. Now if I hear anything on 14,286 it is SSB.

The real reason I took the Extra exam on Saturday was that some of the group
here pushed me into it.

But the visit to the local club allowed me to find some other OFs that look
like the type that still might use old (REAL) radios. But these club meeting
are on a day that conflicts with my main retirement activity.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa,
"Real Radios Glow in the Dark"