[AMRadio] 40M AM?

Ellen Rugowski ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 18 22:40:36 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Macklin" <macklinbob at msn.com>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
<amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] 40M AM?

> Yesterday I was monitoring the 20M CW contest activity.
>
> I wanted to see how well the DSP soundcard TTY software handled the
> background noise. I was using the SB-301 in the USB position rather the CW
> position.
>
> One of the programs I have on the computer is HamScope. It is mostly meant
> for digital modes but has a CW  mode.
>
> I was surprised at how well it could copy CW when the CW was obviously
> generated by another computer. It had a 99% correctness. This does not
> happen when the CW is sent by hand. If the sender is really good it might
> copy 75% but most of the time it is less than 50%.
>
> My observation yesterday was that a significant amount of the contesting
was
> being done by computers.
>
> Bob Macklin
> K5MYJ
> Seattle, Wa,
> "Real Radios Glow in the Dark"

Perhaps that's so Bob.  But,  I was one of those contesters (frankly it was
a boring contest; condx. were lame - especially for doing it QRP like I did
it).  There still are a fair amount of us who do like me - copy by ear. I
also sent by hand with a single lever paddle (20 years of Bug use screwed me
up for double lever paddles, LOL).  Some of the stations like PP5T, and
6Y1LZ were running about 35-40 WPM. I worked 'em both.  All of the high
speed CW I did in contesting, helped me to pass the 20 WPM my Extra
required, when I took it back in 1994.

73,
Ellen - AF9J