[AMRadio] Wanted: Receiver - New England

Brett Gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at verizon.net
Mon Feb 18 23:15:35 EST 2008

I had an sx17, and a scott slrm, both very hi fi.
The problem with receivers that old is, you cant tell what frequency you
are on, the dials are very inexact.

I found both receivers very nice to listen to, the bandwidth choices
were very useable, if it gets bad enough to be a problem I turn the stuff
off
and do something else.
Just dont expect to be able to tune it to 7290 and listen, you
will know you are on 40 meters, maybe on the upper side of the
band, but that is about it.
You can get an outboard digital readout (almost all digital electronics)
for about $50.00 that will give you about 100 hz resolution.

Many receivers can be made to sound much better by taking
audio off the volume pot and sending it to a nice hifi amp and big speaker.
I have an old solid state marantz, it has line outputs,
bass, mid, and treble controls, low and high filters, and plenty of power.
I can hook 4 receivers up to it.

The sx17 and sx28 and others are very old now, made in the late 1930's or
early 40's, and may need lots of help by now...

The drake R4b is likely very good but maybe a bit narrow, I dont know if you
could make it a bit wider....

In my book, an nc300/303 would be good and they sell for under $400.00
sometimes.

Brett
N2DTS