[AMRadio] TH vs TL

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sat Feb 23 21:24:37 EST 2008

The Eimac designation TH and TL mean Triode High mu and Triode Low mu.

Generally, the high mu versions of transmitting triodes work better as
class-B modulators (or rf linears), while the TL's work better in class-C.
But either version have specifications listed for either service.  But I
would  recommend the adjusting the circuit for correct grid bias and grid
drive current for each type of  tube, not just swapping out the tubes with
no changes in parameters.  The low mu's run lower grid current and higher
bias, while the corresponding high mu's  run higher grid current with lower
bias voltage.  See the manufacturers' data sheets, or if not available, see
the tube charts in the ARRL or West Coast  Handbooks.

There are other similar sibling sets of RCA tubes; the 810 is the higher mu
version; the 8000 the low mu.  203A higher mu, 211 low mu.  811(A) high mu,
812(A) lower mu.

I have used both 810's and 8000's in the rf final of my transmitter.  The
lower mu 8000's require about 75% as much driving power for class C plate
modulated service as the 810's.  The HF-300's that I am now have class-C
operating parameters very similar to 8000's.  All I had to change was the
mechanical plate connections; the grid bias, grid current and grid leak
resistor work equally well with each tube, and re-neutralise.  With 810's I
had to use a lower value of grid leak resistor plus re-neutralise.

Don k4kyv