[AMRadio] TL and TH tubes

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Sun Feb 24 19:39:44 EST 2008

k4kyv provided good general rules for when the hi and lo mu triodes were suited for transmitters. Low mu triodes, as class C devices, would be driven hard into grid current. Another big use of these devices was and still is in dielectric and induction heating systems. These applications often run the amplifier (or usually just a power oscillator) with widely varying loads, creating large mismatches. Instead of having 50 ohm circuits, these things are direct coupled to the load, such as having ferrous metals heated in a tank inductor, or having lossy plastics in an air tank capacitor. As such, when the load shifts from zero to full load, grid current changes greatly. A high mu triode oscillator could change grid current as much as to stop oscillation, or to seriously overdrive the grid on the tube, depending on the load. By using a low mu tube, this fluctuation is much less severe, and the grid current can remain in the 'safe' region for the tube as well as keeping the oscillator
going. Thats why tubes like 8000 were seen in diathermy machine. In very large systems (50 kW), would use 3CW30,000H1 or H3 whereas such a low mu tube would be les desirable for transmitters, as they would need a bigger driver stage plus larger grid bias voltages (for cutoff conditions).
73
John
K5PRO