[AMRadio] RG-6 Coax

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sun Jan 6 16:03:17 EST 2008

Carl, the rated voltage of all Belden RG 6 cable is just 300 volts.  The
one I copied from the Belden site used PE insulation.  They have other
types of insulation and there is also a difference in burial and Plenum
cables as far as some stats. go.

I am saying, be careful what you buy, for manufacturing tolerances may
be different than what the spec says, evidence the toy recalls and pet
food fiasco.  The voltage of 600 watts is about 205 volts, just 95 below
the maximum rating of RG 6.  Again, provided the match is good so you
don't have heat build up on the cable, it is ok for the good quality
cable.  Buyer beware.

I have some RG 213 made by Alpha, I think, that I would avoid buying
every again.  Although a name brand, it suffers from poor quality
control and manufacturing tolerance.  When I try to strip the inner
insulation, the center conductor and inner insulation tries to come out
of the shield.  I have pulled as much as 6-8 inches of the inner
conductor out.

Jim/W5JO