[AMRadio] Viking Desk Modulation

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 16:05:29 EST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 2:24 PM, Jay Bromley <jayw5jay at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well that article reads kinda of bad, but I was a young guy at the time, hi.
> Barry also did an article for ER.  He recorded our conversation as we talked
> on the phone about KW1 audio, then transcribe it.  The text was mostly
> correct, but the grammer was horrible.  Hey I am just a southern boy, that
> is how we talk.  It did seem to help many KW1 owners like Uncle Ed, etc.

Well, when I got the photocopied sheets from Uncle Ed in....90? he had
addressed some issues with what looked like a black crayon or grease
pencil, an orange crayon, and penned-in notes I had trouble making
out. Up until then I hadn't done any major modifications to any gear,
but it didn't take me long to change my tune. Ed was my first or
second contact on the air with the rig, and when I asked how it
sounded, he replied "well....it sounds like a stock KW-1. You need get
in there and change a few things...." followed by your mods. I did
mess up a bit around the clipper due to the crayon factor, but cleaned
it all up nicely when I had the audio deck out last February.

> Yes the audio driver was the weak link, but not much room to improve unless
> one went outboard.  A quad set of 2A3s, 6B4Gs, or a couple of 6080s might
> have been good.  I kinda like a pair of the 845s, hihi.

I'm okay with it the way it is now, drilling/blasting/outboard decks
are more than I care to attempt. Still have a bunch of RCA 845s NIB
though, so...

> Todd, keep that transmitter.  I really miss mine!  It is not far from here,
> but it is really showing age now.  The last time I saw it was very dusty and
> needed a good cleaning up.

That's gotta be tough to see your pride and joy in decline. Maybe it
will find its way back to you someday.

> Phoenix Bill helped me with the PTO and also a fast make plate relay circuit with delayed  > antenna relay. After that I kept the airwaves hot 10m through 160m back in the mid 80s.

I'd like to hear more about this sometime.

> I was in my early 20s, what a wild ride it was to locate one of those and
> then get it going.  I knew nothing, but had a few good AM mentors!  I didn't
> really know what I had until years later.  Back then it was just old junk
> and to many here thought I was just stupid for playing with old winkle
> painted rigs.  Now those same guys wish they had got that rig off of me, hi.

Ironic....I found #89 in an antique shop deal in August of '88. I was
27 at the time. Didn't get it going for another couple years, though.
Bill Wheeler was the final savior, helping me locate an open 4-pie,
duo laterally-wound bias choke for the 4-250s. He was on one end of
the long distance call looking at his schematic, I was in VT looking
at mine. Ended up being an easy fix, and ol' 89 returned to the
airwaves.

A grid short in one of the 250s took it off the air in '92, and life
kept me busy for a while beyond that. Hearing the first Heavy Metal
Rally got me back after it, replaced the bad tube, a broken plate
blocking doorknob, and swapped out the 872s for 4B32s. Had it working
again that December, and finally back on the air in March of 2006. A
few issues since, but I enjoy having it back online and have no desire
to ever part with it. It's on the air regularly, and will be as long
as time and conditions permit.

Think we either worked recently or at least I heard you up around
3870-3885 one evening. The new call sounds very familiar. You used to
have a K5 call, if I recall correctly.

Good stuff! Hope to hear you soon!

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ