[AMRadio] Hamfest creeps

jeremy-ca km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Fri Jan 18 17:55:12 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brett Gazdzinski" <brett.gazdzinski at verizon.net>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
<amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 5:12 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Hamfest creeps

> My idea of the average  'ham' is an overweight old guy,

Nope, my doctor says Im just fine.

who lives in a house
> that looks abandoned,

5BR, 4 bath, 3600 sq ft on 5 acres on a hilltop with 360 degree negative
horizon.

with a $20,000 tower/antenna setup,

That may be just for one of my 4 towers, at one point I had 17 HF yagis up
at one time when actively contesting. That included a 4 over 4 for 40M. I
had a 3el for 80M but never had the nerve to put it up.

> he drives a 15 year old car,

My daily beater Ford Taurus is 16, no dents, no rust, made in the USA and 25
mpg. Cant see wasting money on something newer until I need to. I also have
many others going back to 1926 and drive several when the weather is nice.

 dirty inside and out, that
> has many strange looking antenna's on it.

Gets vacuumed when it needs it, Mother Nature washes it. Havent had a mobile
setup since 1969.

> The trunk is FILLED with the strangest assortment of things!

Jumper cables (usually to help my wife or son) is the only thing there.

 I have 1978 and 1983 vans for hamfests and cleaning out "accumulations".
Often gets me much lower prices than if I was driving a new F-350 dually.

> His garage is filled with WW2 or older totaly rusted out
> radio gems,

Close on the years but nothing radio related. Lots of auto engines;
flatheads, Y Blocks, Olds Rocket, Nailhead, hemi, etc.

 as is the basement.

LOTs and Lots of goodies, and you forgot the walk up attic. No rusted out
junk.

> I dont fit the description at all, at least, not yet....

Ive been trying but cant seem to gain much weight.....sex burns how many
calories?

Carl
KM1H