[AMRadio] Hamfest creeps

John King k5pgw at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 14:26:20 EST 2008

Karl, K1MH hit the nail on the head and was very
accurate in describing the scene at hamfests and other
"Ham" gatherings. If you can't see that as  an
accurate description of the late 1990s and early 2000s
ham, YOU MUST BE BLIND OR ONE OF THE SLOBS  he
described.

I have been a ham for fifty years and the "creep"
problem appeared in the last 30 or so years.

When I became a ham, the typical ham was the local TV
repairman, postal worker, teacher, bank teller,
hardware store owner, college student or high school
student, former military CW operator, former News
Press CW operator, radio/tv station engineer.

All of of the hams, I knew in the fifties, had at
least one pair of CLEAN Kahki pants, a pair of CLEAN
Kahki shirts (very neatly washed and ironed, a "man's
haircut), a NEAT beard or mustache, if any at all, NO
BLACK DIRT OR SH_T under their finger nails.

My elmers were K5HFI,SK, hardware store owner,
graduate engineer and former employee of Bell Labs,
K5LND, SK,teacher of watch making at local vocational
school, and WWII POW who escaped the Batan Death March
twice. My novice exam was given by Jimmy Moss, former
UPI PRESS CW operator(60+ wpm) and my conditional by
W5JGI who became a Professor of Microbiology and is
still an active Ham.

I guess that my associates were "a cut above" and
didn't look like they crawled from under a log. I held
my standards up as most Hams did back in 1958.

I do not apologize for washing my clothes, shaving,
taking a bath, and washing my hands and keeping the
crap from under my finger nails. I am almost 70 years
old, and bald headed, but I still have pride in my
appearance.

Ham radio's ranks reflect a cross section of America
that has no pride in their appearance, speech or
education. I know some of you are are saying "I HEARD
THAT", "KNOW WHUDA MEAN", "YOU HEAH ME", and espousing
your vast two meter knowledge of "WHITE NOISE" and
talking in cute little sound bites on 75 mtrs.

Booger pickers and butt scratchers, please do not
reply until I get my surgeons mask on.

By the way, I have not changed your image or opinions
and you will not changte mine, so don't bother to try.
73, John, K5PGW 20 wpm "Extra Class"