[AMRadio] Recent insulting threads

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 09:48:58 EST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008 12:53 PM, A.R.S. - WA5AM <ars.w5ami at gmail.com> wrote:

> What the hell is wrong here people?  Is it the elections?  Winter?  Sidebanders?  What?

Heh, maybe a bit of all three Brian, plus the lack of on air time?

Cabin Fever could be seen as a cause as easily as all the political
crap on the TV, radio, online, and so on. Sidebanders, well....this
gets back to the 'bad apples in every walk of life' comment, so maybe
less likely.

The original point (how we choose to represent amateur radio,
basically) is a good one. It warrants some scrutiny if we wish to
showcase amateur radio in general, and AM specifically to upcoming
generations.

Pointing out the obvious should be simple enough without resorting to
doing so in an elitist or antagonistic way. In the end, people are
free to live their lives as they choose, regardless of how ridiculous
or repulsive we might find it.

I prefer to blame the free choice folks make to live their lives
online instead of getting on the air to actually operate, promote, and
enjoy amateur radio. A recent discussion on 80 meters highlighted how
so many who have "all the answers" both here and on AMfone
mysteriously never seem to be heard on the air. IMO, that's where the
problem lies: the disconnect between talking about it and actually
doing it.

But then again, you know what they say about opinions....  (o:

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ