[AMRadio] Re: Coca Cola KW

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Thu Jan 24 10:59:34 EST 2008

>That reminds me of my friend Vortex Joe N3IBX who owns the "Coca Cola
>Kilowatt"  which has several KW amps, with modulator, inside a Coke
>machine:

>http://w2dtc.com/2004-0711-vortex-joe/2004-0711-004.jpg

>Ken W2DTC

>> I saw the Coca Cola KW before it got parted out. What an interesting
>> piece!
>> Mod-U-Lator,
>> Mike(y)
>> W3SLK

Well, I've got the next best thing.  The Gates BC1-T that I converted to 160
looks more  like a soda machine than a broadcast transmitter, with the
sloping panels, particularly that ridiculous hump at the bottom of the front
panel over the air intake, and the silly little triangular shaped viewing
window for the 833-A's.  It has to take the prize for the ugliest broadcast
transmitter ever made!  It even beats the CCA model that has the fake wood
grain cabinet.

But I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.  The thing works well and I
always get good signal reports with it, although some say my homebrew HF-300
rig sounds better.  And I can't complain about the price! (given to me free
of charge by a local station for hauling it out of their building).

Don k4kyv