[AMRadio] Receiver Noise Reduction Devices

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Thu Jan 24 21:00:32 EST 2008

Mike if you and the power company agree it is coming from a neighbor's
house I would approach the neighbor with something that can hear the
noise and try to locate the source.   This will, of course, depend on
cooperation of the neighbor.  If they refuse you have the option of
contacting the FCC to have a letter sent to them about cooperation.  If
they do cooperate and you determine the source is from the house, try to
convince them in a nice way to repair the problem.

You might point out that noise from something in a house can be an
indication of trouble to come in the future and repairing it now might
possibly mitigate some costs .  I have heard of doorbell transformers
causing house fires.

If the limiter on your receiver will not ally the noise, then an
external source is not likely to be of much help.  Your best bet will be
eliminating it all together.  If the neighbor refuses to repair the
problem if you locate it there, then the FCC will eventually intercede,
but I would not threaten them at the onset.

Not too long ago the FCC sent a letter to an elderly couple who both had
power chairs.  The charging devices made noise that obliterated the
bands of an amateur.  He provided filters to them and proved the filters
worked after much searching for the source.  After he left the owner
removed the filters so the amateur contacted the FCC who eventually
wrote the owners of the power chairs the standard interference letter.

Best to meet the challenge head on and see what you can work out with
the source owner rather than let it ride.

Jim/W5JO