[AMRadio] Receiver Noise Reduction Devices

Anthony W. DePrato wa4jqs at mikrotec.com
Fri Jan 25 11:11:45 EST 2008

At 08:26 PM 1/24/2008, you wrote:
>I'm looking for a way to reduce a received noise which is being back-fed
>into a nearby powerline from something inside a house about a block away.
>I've been working with my power company, and we are in agreement that it is
>coming from the owner's side of the meter.
>snip

Mike:
A few years back i my receivers were wiped out by a line noise. the
power company was great with their help finding it. we spent about 2
hrs checking lines it was weird . they could pick it up on their
lines for about 3 miles. they started cutting out sections of line
till they found it was on the section 1/4 miles from my house. they
killed both ends and still it was on the dead line. so they started
pulling meters in each house on that section. came to a guy who had a
barn and a dog run outside his barn. pulled his meter and WAM it was
gone. well they found that he had a electric fence around his dog log
and the barn was across the road from his house. with a power drop
going to the barn from his garage. they looked inside his garage and
guess what they found a wire coming off a fence charger going to the
ground wire on the power drop. then across the road they found
another wire coming off the ground down to the fence. he was using
the power companies ground wire to power his fence. needless to say
they cut everything out pulled his meter and left a note for him to
come to the office if he wanted power restored. .
this is just something to think about. also i have found that the new
light bulbs they say are so cost saving are noise generators of the
highest level. xyl bought some and the shack is a shop about 100 feet
from the house . had to go in and remove all of them.
good luck
73 Tony

QBE  ZUT  DE WA4JQS

ANTHONY W. (Tony) DePrato WA4JQS EXTRA - HEAVY
Since 1962
CQ DX HALL OF FAME # 35
A1-OP      FISTS  # 10573   SKCC #1227 F.O.P. LODGE 68
DXCC PHONE- DXCC CW- DXCC RTTY- DXCC MIXED
DXCC 40, 20, 15, 10 METERS
South Sandwich Island Dxpedition Group
CALLS HELD:
WA4JQS/ZS1, WA4JQS/KC4, WA4JQS/4K1