[AMRadio] Invitation to a SURVEY

Ellen Rugowski ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 28 22:56:21 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: <jcotton at excite.com>
To: <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 2:20 PM
Subject: [AMRadio] Invitation to a SURVEY

> It would be nice to know what each of us is using for equipment and
antennas, and so on.  I encourage everyone to participate in a survey, and I
will volunteer to collect your replies and report to the list, with
statistics and such.
> Please reply to the list, or to me at jcotton at excite.com.  If you have
more than one (transmitter, antenna, etc) please reply regarding your "main"
equipment.

OK, here I go.

> What is your favorite band (80m, 160m, 40m etc)?
That's tough, but I do have a bias for a few of the bands:  10m (a fun band
that when it's happening, you don't need much to get out); 6m (as a longtime
VHFer, I had a blast doing 6m AM this last summer); 75m (due to its higher
AM activity levels); 160m (I've had a soft spot for this band, since I was
in college in the 80s).

> What kind of antenna (dipole, vertical, etc) do you use?
150ft endfed w/tuned counterpoise.

> What type of line (open feeder, rg59, etc) do you use for feeding of your
antenna?
No feedline

>  Do you use a transmatch or antenna tuner?
Transmatch (BTW, an antenna tuner is basically a transmatch)

> Do you use a separate transmitter and receiver, or a transciever?
On HF - separate xmitter & Rcvr.  ON 6m - xcvr.

> What times and days of the week do you operate?
Weekends, and if there's activity & enough free time, early evening during
the weekdays.

> Average amount of time per week occupied in ham radio?
1 to 3 hours
> What do you enjoy most, the technical (building, repairing) or operating?
Operating - I don't mine building.  But I build radio stuff (or buy radio
stuff to repair), to fill an operating need, not to collect dust (I went
down that road, building QRP kits a few years ago - no thanks).

> And last but not least, any comments!
>
> Thanks for participating in the survey.
> Joe N3IQA

73,