[AMRadio] AMers should not operate other modes??

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 10:20:42 EST 2008

We've had similar issues back east from time to time. Always a very
few detractors, but that saying about the squeaky wheel seems to have
some bearing.

My personal view is that the limited time I have available for radio,
I prefer to operate AM. But I used to enjoy DX chasing very much back
in the 80s, and plan to do more of it in the future. A number of the
'big gun' AMers back this way can be heard on SSB in the 75m DX window
from time to time. When the band goes long, activity is low, the hour
is late, or whatever else - why not? Good use is better than no use,
regardless of mode. Particularly with the band conditions we've seen
lately, SSB at least allows folks to stay in touch, and occupy a
frequency that can switch back to AM when the band allows.

IMO, chastising folks for using other modes makes one sound at least
as stupid as the slopbucket stations we all know too well.
'Slopbucket' being the typical lid SSB op, not just anyone using the
mode.

OTOH, there always seem to be a few who piss and moan about this and
that, but then don't bother to get on the air to improve and promote
the AM community. So yes - if I ran across one of them on SSB, it sure
would shed new light on their 'objections'. But merely using the mode?
Bah. Sounds like someone needs to grow up or, at the very least, get
over themselves.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ