[AMRadio] Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service

Bob Young youngbob53 at msn.com
Wed Jan 30 12:23:41 EST 2008

Hi Joe, my answers are bold:

What is your favorite band (80m, 160m, 40m etc)? 160m FOLLOWED BY 40 THEN 75, HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO TRY THE HIGH BANDS YET

160m IS MY FAVORITE FOLLWED BY 40 THEN 75
What kind of antenna?

160m DIPOLE CLOUDBURNER ABOUT 40-50 FT HIGH

What type of line (open feeder, rg59, etc) do you use for feeding of your antenna?

LADDER LINE CUT TO THE CORRECT PARTIAL WAVELENGTH

Do you use a transmatch or antenna tuner?

HEATHKIT 2060 TUNER FOR ALL BANDS
Do you use a separate transmitter and receiver, or a transciever?

SEPARATE, MAIN RIGS: HEATHKIT DX-100 WITH AN R-390A
 What times and days of the week do you operate?

EVENINGS ON 160 AND 75 AND MORNINGS ON BOTH 75 AND 40
Average amount of time per week occupied in ham radio?

VARIES, NOT ENOUGH, 1-8 HRS. PER WEEK.

What do you enjoy most, the technical (building, repairing) or operating?

I ENJOY BOTH ALTHOUGH I'M BETTER AT OPERATING, HI!

 And last but not least, any comments!

I AM A NEW HAM LICENSED FOR ABOUT 1 YEAR. I'VE MET ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE THE PAST YEAR FROM VERY HELPFUL PEOPLE (MAJORITY) TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE CALLED ME ONE OF THOSE "NO CODERS" (MAYBE BECAUSE ON MY FIRST TRY I NERVOUSLY CALLED CQ DURING A 5-6 MAN QSO)

I ENJOY IT A LOT AND WISH I HAD STARTED YEARS AGO (I'VE BEEN A DXer AND RADIO COLLECTOR FOR MANY YEARS)

BOB YOUNG
MILLBURY, MA
KB1OKL