[AMRadio] Re: AMers should not operate other modes??

Bob Young youngbob53 at msn.com
Wed Jan 30 13:05:37 EST 2008

I was getting ready to try and join a QSO on 75M one day a few months ago and a guy with a SS SSB rig was trying AM for the first time (I guess he was a long time SSBer), he was polite, asking intelligent questions about AM and he seemed genuinely interested and his rig didn't sound bad to me but he was rudely told by several AMers to go and get a proper AM rig before trying AM and was then promptly ignored, he went away. I couldn't believe the rudeness and wouldn't blame the guy if he then went and badmouthed AMer's. I am new (one year ham) and have tried to join AM QSO's on 75 meters before and was ignored also, most of the time I just listen for a while on 75m and then go to 160. I have had some great QSO's also on 75 so it's not everyone there, maybe just the proverbial "few"

Bob Young
KB1OKL