[AMRadio] Re: AMers should not operate other modes??

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 14:15:52 EST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 1:09 PM, Bob Peters <rwpeters at swbell.net> wrote:
> You know what Bob We have a bunch of guys here in North Texas running
> Rice Boxes on AM and they sound great...We have 746 and 756 Pro's a lot
> of Kenwood 2000's...Couple of guys running the new Ten Tec.. They are
> all welcomed with open arms...No complaining here.. I mean after all I
> ran a K7DYY Sr and that is hollow state...

Yes, the days of 'rig bias' seem to be long gone for the most part. In
fact, the few times I've heard it in the last two years, it seemed to
be uttered by newbs coming on board who think that's the best way to
sound like an OT. In fact, one op who seems to have a disdain for
'slopbucket' contacts has Collins S-Line gear in his avatar on AMfone.
Pretty comical, really.  (o:

Many of us have spent fair amounts of time, interrupting ongoing QSOs,
to help someone get their SS rig dialed in properly. Not so much for
sound, mainly so they don't burn it up by running too much carrier. As
more folks discover AM and want to switch over, patience is the key.

Many of the new rigs sound great, especially the Flex radios. It's not
about the gear so much as the mode. When the 'stuff' becomes more
important than the people, it's time to find a new hobby.

Of course, operating in the so-called 'AM Window' during prime time
probably has a lot to do with it. There's a reason they call it the AM
Ghetto. Bob 'OKL, bring your friend down below 3800, life is much
nicer down there. It's worth upgrading if you need to.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ