[AMRadio] Noise Update

doxemf at aol.com doxemf at aol.com
Thu Jan 31 00:02:03 EST 2008

cMike,

Sad to say but I just experienced the worst case scenario with a fire
in the business below my workshop downtown here on the 21st.

The previous night I had heard a nasty arcing noise while listening to
75 mtrs. It was not constant enough to locate but by its strength and
type knew it was nearby.

Well, I was awakened at 9:00 AM the next morning with the news that the
building downtown was on fire !!

It was controlled after a couple hours and the following day the Fire
Inspector determined that it was caused by a shorting coffee maker cord
that had showered sparks on flamable materials nearby causing the blaze.

The rear of the business, my Neice's pet shop, was completely gutted
and I had major smoke and water damage in my rooms directly over it.
The fire had climed up thru the walls to an attic crawlspace over my
area
and the water used totally soaked my test gear, radio gear and
everything else.

  I was lucky with no actual fire burn damage but the smoke and water
has probably ruined all the electronics that I have including shelves
of manuals and handbooks.

 I had just put my old VK II back on the air a couple days earlier.

So check out any serious noises not just foe QRN reasons but to prevent
a real fire !

Bill,
KB3DKS