[AMRadio] Re: AMers should not operate other modes??

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 10:17:15 EST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 8:22 PM, VJB <wa3vjb at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  It's just that none
> of my AM friends know about this.

Interesting you should mention that, Paul. Some of the gang were
having a chuckle about that very thing a few evenings back, along with
the comment about never having a computer in the shack. Hard to keep
secrets in the AM community. (o:

Those of us who use and prefer AM, and are on the air regularly, are
known as AMers. Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be any requirement
to notify others or get approval before running other modes, so I
think we're safe.

Brett, 80 meters is great - you should look into it sometime. I think
you're confusing 80 with the 75m AM ghetto area, which is still quite
usable late at night and during the day. The problem children appear
around prime time in the evenings, then all bets are off. If we used
the actions of some as a reason not to use a certain band, there'd be
no activity anywhere. Every band, every mode has its idiots.

W1IA has worked France, Holland, Wales, England, and Malta on 80
meters recently, using AM. The only caveat is that you've gotta be on
the air to do it. It helps if band conditions cooperate, too.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ