[AMRadio] AMers should not operate other modes??

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Thu Jan 31 13:31:34 EST 2008

I see no reason not to work other  modes.  I don't work SSB (don't even have
a SSB rig), but I work CW from time to time.  But I do not think less of
someone just because they also run SSB in addition to AM.  That sounds
EXACTLY like the mentality I hear on 3892, where some of the participants
regularly vilify anyone who runs AM and go so far as to state that they
would never talk to them and that they are unwelcome to join their group. I
have often asked weak AM stations that if they have SSB capability, to
switch to SSB to see if I can copy them better through the background noise.

OTOH, one thing that does annoy  me from time to time is when I call CQ on
AM and specifically state that I am listening with the receiver in AM mode,
and have someone come back on SSB.  I use an automated pre-recorded CQ setup
with a Sony MiniDisc deck and tone activated T/R function, and I sometimes
let it run and recycle over and over while I am at the other end of the
shack working on a project, until I hear a reply.  The receiver is in AM
mode, and as soon as I hear a response I stop what I am doing, return to the
operating position and take  manual control to continue the QSO.  Sometimes
I hear SSB in the background but can't make out what they are saying, and it
frequently turns out to be an ajacent channel QSO spilling over, not someone
calling me.  More often not, I don't even hear the SSB reply in the noise if
the signal is weak.  I think it would be considerate if someone is calling
CQ and indicates that they are listening in a certain mode, to respond in
that mode.

I usually ignore SSB if I am not near enough to the receiver to switch it to
SSB mode to see if it directed to me.  If someone really wants to talk to
me, most of  today's transceivers have AM capability that works well enough
to at least alert me on AM, and then I could switch over the receiver if
need be.

Don k4kyv