[AMRadio] Bondo

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 09:30:23 EDT 2008

I always enjoying hearing about someone older than me. :D

Rick, my memory of bondo and similar fillers is that they shrink up,
crack, get brittle, and otherwise fall out of larger areas. Not so
much of a problem covering a small area of damage, but filling a hole
with nothing to hold it but the thickness of the panel edges around
the hole doesn't sound promising. We used to use screen for large
holes and areas of rust on vehicles for the stuff to cling to.
TigerHair fiberglass was a better choice, though not as clean as
bondo. It required some red lead to smooth over the surface when done.

The JB Weld idea is one I've thought of too. There's a Hammarlund
SP-100 panel waiting for just such a repair in my 'to do' pile. My
thought was to put tape or such across the back of the hole, fill from
the front while keeping the panel flat, allowing the material to flow
out level before it starts to set up. Maybe use a heat lamp initially
to help it flow and start setting up. Once it's hard, it's not likely
to go anywhere without some serious pressure.

Good luck with it. Let us know what you decide on and how it works out.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ