[AMRadio] Radio Noise, BPL?

doxemf at aol.com doxemf at aol.com
Mon Jul 14 02:59:16 EDT 2008

Jim,

This meter/inlet panel is on the outside of the attached office
building. The distro panel it feeds is turned off via the main breaker
since the building is vacant at this time. The the much larger power
drop and panel for the main building where my workshop/storage is
located is on the opposite side of the main building and is not a
source of noise.

The noise has the fundamental sound of a network cable but without any
traffic. Looking at my IF with a scope, the waveform is a flat top
positive going pulse with even spaced harmonics maybe, 100kc or less
apart. Certainly not phase controller harmonics. I haven't gotten all
my gear up and running yet so some of what i'm seeing may be from front
end overload.
  Need to put in some input attenuation to to find the fundamental and
actual signal level. It appears to be in or even below
the broadcast band but the HF receiver only goes down to 1500. At that
point the noise level completely buries any broadcast stations. Will
try using the portable if it stops raining Monday.

My Spectrum Analyzer, Tek 7L12, was heavily smoke and water damaged
recently and I'm a bit lost without it. There is no better tool to
locate and identify noise sources. At least one that I can afford.

Don't know, have to get it removed somehow. Would like to get my
station back on the air and there is no way with this noise.
It is way outside
 of a permissible radiation level whatever it is.

Will update when and if the problem goes away.

Thanks !
Bill, KB3DKS