[AMRadio] Radio Noise, BPL?

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Mon Jul 14 08:34:05 EDT 2008

Bill,

While it would be nice to know the cause of the problem, it
shouldn't be necessary to find the exact problem.  If you have
traced the noise to the vacant building's power inlet with
reasonable certainty then I would report it to the utility.

You say that it wipes out the BC band, which is what I would report
rather than the ham frequencies.  Utilities don't like bad publicity
over Broadcast frequencies, but sometimes put ham complaints at the
bottom of the list to work.  I would just tell them it covers up
your favorite radio stations and can they help.

If they remove power and the problem is still there then you can
search more, but if it goes away the power company may leave power
disconnected and notify the owner to fix the problem.  If they
reconnect power when a new occupant moves in, you may be granted
access to locate the specific pieces of equipment that is causing
the problem.

They also may recognize the noise and be able to fix it.  I have had
that experience before.  No sense in missing out on your favorite
hobby waiting for someone to move in.

73

Jim/W5JO