[AMRadio] ARRL initiative

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 11:41:28 EDT 2008

I have to agree with Walter in that many folks move to such places
exactly for the reasons stated: they don't want to deal with
'unsightly' antennae or whatever else, they want their neighborhood
just so, etc. Anyone who freely moves there agrees to abide by these
rules when they sign the contract.

Different story if they change the rules once you already live
somewhere. History dictates that your previously-lawful use should be
grandfathered. If not, then you have a gripe.

Trying to impose one's views on another by force is no different if
the HOA / zoning board does it or the ARRL. And you always have the
freedom (and responsibility, IMO) not to go there if you think it's
going to be a problem for you. No different than moving into a
residentially-zoned area and trying to set up an industrial site. You
can hope for a variance, but to expect it would be foolish. They're
even good enough to let you know that in advance.

This is no 'David vs Goliath' BPL issue to rally the troops around, or
a useful tool for enlisting new members. More likely a shot to the
foot.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ