[AMRadio] Fighting deed restrictions (long story)

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 10:19:02 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:57 PM, Bob Young <youngbob53 at msn.com> wrote:

> I am living in an apartment at present in MA (you think VT is bad)

It is! We used to laugh about 'Taxachussetts' because of the insanity
there, but we've since surpassed you in both tax burden (highest in
the US) and ridiculous politics. Uncle Teddy would probably be seen as
a conservative up here.

> I have considered moving here someday as prices are cheap, the weather is great, and the people are nice, but I will NEVER buy or rent a condo again anywhere, here or in the States.  That one Condo Cop experience was enough for me and there was no antenna restriction there.

Precisely. When we decided to move to the Raleigh NC area, I started
looking online long before any move, checking zoning, taxes, and so
on. We were both there in April (Jen had work meetings for her new
job, I was scoping out real estate), I spent a couple days with a
Realtor. She showed me some very nice houses in new developments, most
with an acre of land or close. Trees, country settings...and HOA
restrictions. She had printed out one sheet for a property about 25
miles north of Raleigh, but figured it would be too far out for us
(wife works on north Raleigh, who knows where I'll end up?). It ended
up being perfect, nearly 3 acres in a very rural setting with minimal
zoning restrictions meant mostly to control industrial development.
Realtor was surprised, particularly since it was only meant to give us
some ideas to ponder. Instead we found a house and ended up buying it.
We were pretty much resigned to taking an apartment at least for a
while.

Many of the new homes were much 'nicer' with the latest/greatest
appliances, closer to the city, and other 'pluses'. We could've chosen
any of them and been happy, if the main focus had been convenience.
Instead, we chose what we wanted and would be most comfortable with.
Amusing part is - there are two new developments nearby, same .5 to 1
acre lots, HOAs and so on. I figure in a few years our little
investment will be one of the few in the area with land, privacy, and
only light zoning to deal with. That didn't happen by mistake.

And when the time comes to move again, it will be to a place with more
land and the same or fewer restrictions. It's called ''choice'. Far
easier and more sensible than expecting others to adapt to my wishes,
and certainly better than hoping for the League to solve my problems
for me.

You've got the right idea, Bob. Learn by past mistakes, and don't put
yourself in a situation you know you won't like. BTW - don't miss
George's next R-390A workshop at the October NEAR-Fest, it's going to
be great!

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ