[AMRadio] Fighting deed restrictions (long story)

Bob Young youngbob53 at msn.com
Wed Jul 16 13:54:17 EDT 2008

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:19:02 -0400
> From: "Todd, KA1KAQ"
>
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:57 PM, Bob Young  wrote:
>
>> I am living in an apartment at present in MA (you think VT is bad)
>
> It is! We used to laugh about 'Taxachussetts' because of the insanity
> there, but we've since surpassed you in both tax burden (highest in
> the US) and ridiculous politics. Uncle Teddy would probably be seen as
> a conservative up here.

I think our states have traded places, except it is far too congested unlike your's and is still regulated to the point of stupidity, I'm looking to move too within the next couple of years and probably somewhere near you. My wife loves Miami which I really don't like very much so I figure perhaps NC is a good compromise. (Seems to be a lot of good radio people there too with one more coming)

>> I have considered moving here someday as prices are cheap, the weather is great, and the people are nice, but I will NEVER buy or rent a condo again anywhere, here or in the States. That one Condo Cop experience was enough for me and there was no antenna restriction there.
>
> Precisely. When we decided to move to the Raleigh NC area, I started
> looking online long before any move, checking zoning, taxes, and so
> on. We were both there in April (Jen had work meetings for her new
> job, I was scoping out real estate), I spent a couple days with a
> Realtor. She showed me some very nice houses in new developments, most
> with an acre of land or close. Trees, country settings...and HOA
> restrictions. She had printed out one sheet for a property about 25
> miles north of Raleigh, but figured it would be too far out for us
> (wife works on north Raleigh, who knows where I'll end up?). It ended
> up being perfect, nearly 3 acres in a very rural setting with minimal
> zoning restrictions meant mostly to control industrial development.
> Realtor was surprised, particularly since it was only meant to give us
> some ideas to ponder. Instead we found a house and ended up buying it.
> We were pretty much resigned to taking an apartment at least for a
> while.

Sounds great to me, I think I dreamed about your house last night, hi!

> BTW - don't miss
> George's next R-390A workshop at the October NEAR-Fest, it's going to
> be great!
> ~ Todd, KA1KAQ

I hope to be there, I had to work all weekend this spring, which was not fun especially since I knew what was going on in NH. His workshop was the high point of the NEAR-Fest for me last year.

Bob Young
KB1OKL