[AMRadio] Fighting deed restrictions

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Thu Jul 17 00:33:14 EDT 2008

> From: "Ed Sieb" <esieb at sympatico.ca>

> Up here in Canada, we call those "culos",   "trou de cul".
> Same thing.

Or in Italian, you tell 'em "Fa'n culo!"

Something that might be worth a try would be to cross out the restrictive
language in the contract in permanent ink and initial in the margin next to
the stricken text, before signing it.  Sometimes the seller of the property
or the real estate agent will be too eager to close the deal, and not notice
the modification, or he may simply not care as long as he is getting his
money out of the deal.  Once it is registered at the courthouse in that
condition, the crossed out language is legally voided,  too late to do
anything about it.

I know of at least one case where the buyer of a property did that (although
it had nothing to do with amateur radio) and it worked.

OTOH, I also have heard stories of where people had been living on a
property for decades without restrictions, and then new highly restricted
developments with HOA's popped up on all sides.  The older property owner
was tricked into signing a form to join the HOA and accept its restrictions.
He thought he was signing an agreement to settle a road easement issue with
an adjoining property owner, but voluntary HOA membership was hidden in the
fine print.

So even if you are a long-time property owner in a locality, be very careful
about any agreement you sign with neighbours regarding real estate issues.

Don k4kyv