[AMRadio] introduction -- correction

VJB wa3vjb at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 15:49:06 EDT 2008

Pete's right, the introductory paragraphs that I sent here to the AM Reflector contain errors, that he has corrected in referring to a Norwegian and a Canadian as the announced candidates at the IARU. One would replace a League leftover, incumbent Larry Price, who has declined to act on a request to investigate the poor handling of IARU matters that have the potential of harming AM.   Half the replacement team comes from Canada, a country whose IARU representative was more willing to repair the botched Brazil bandplan than was the club designated for the time being to represent U.S. licensees. (ARRL)

Pete thank you; I'm glad you enjoyed the bulk of the report. Especially compare with the League's version that says the regulatory suggestions regarding BPL came from the ARRL, when in actuality the suggestions are based on improvements the BPL industry itself has initiated. I hope you give credit where credit is due, as part of your vigilance.

Finally, regarding the League's disclosure of this meeting with the FCC, I see no advance notice that it was taking place, nor that the ARRL managers involved had consulted with any subscribers regarding the direction the group now would take in its possible retreat from its earlier demanded actions. I welcome your drawing my attention to any published account of this advance planning.

Save my time and do not simply repeat previous claims that these people don't have to ask anyone what they should do. Clearly, that behavior has failed to serve the company, its constituents, and the greater community of active, concerned U.S. licensees.

The failed Petition for Rulemaking to have the FCC impose mandatory segregation by bandwidth is your best example.

As another example, this is how the ARRL handled the preparations ahead of the IARU meeting in Brazil: Keep everything secret, do not consult with anyone affected, then let them find out about it afterward.

This leads me to again note that there is a candidate for Regional Director right now, Mickey Cox, K5MC, for whom I have urged support on this Reflector.

Mickey intends to open the secret, backroom ARRL Board meetings to outside observers, and to provide dramatically higher accountability for the actions of paid administrators and elected volunteers charged with running the club.

An excellent discussion of his candidacy is at this link. Please support him if you're in the ARRL's Delta Division.

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=152397

Paul