[AMRadio] BPL and the ARRL

Bob Peters rwpeters at swbell.net
Fri Jul 18 19:26:57 EDT 2008

I know that I will get hit upside the head but to you guys that say ARRL
does nothing for Ham Radio Read on!!! Not only did ARRL get the BPL
stopped but got most of the money back from the FCC....Your TAX dollars
back to a good cause  LOL

The United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
has ordered that the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) reimburse
ARRL for the docketing fee and the cost of reproducing copies of briefs
and appendices in the ARRL's successful challenge of the FCC's broadband
over power line (BPL) rules
<http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2008/04/25/10064/>.

The Order, issued on July 9 following review of an opposition from the
FCC and a reply from the ARRL, awarded the ARRL's full claim of
$6,096.18
<http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/appealCostAwardOrder2008jul09.pdf
>. Commenting on the Order, ARRL Chief Executive Officer David Sumner,
K1ZZ, observed: "While this is just a small fraction of the cost of our
judicial appeal, the Order is significant because the Court did not buy
the FCC's arguments that the ARRL had only achieved 'partial success' in
its appeal and that our claim of costs was excessive."

Sumner continued: "In addition, the FCC falsely claimed that the ARRL
'was unsuccessful in persuading the Court to vacate the rules it
challenged.' In fact, the ARRL never sought to do so since the BPL rules
adopted by the FCC, inadequate as they are, were still better than
nothing. The award of these fees affirms that, contrary to the 'spin'
the FCC has tried to put on the Court's remand, the ARRL substantially
prevailed in its appeal."