[AMRadio] BPL and the ARRL

Thomas Adams quixote2 at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 19 00:35:33 EDT 2008

At 09:49 PM 7/18/2008, Kim Elmore wrote:
>This is simply an unfair assertion. It is not the ARRL's job to be
>the Omniscient Spectrum Protector. Most of the spectrum is not the
>Amateur's to protect. If the Government allows an activity that
>trashes its own spectrum, it's their problem, not the ARRL's. If the
>Government allows activity that trashes the broadcast band, it's the
>broadcaster's problem, not ours. Likewise the military, the FAA, and
>on and on. The ARRL cannot protect everyone and it is unreasonable
>to expect it to do so. It's primary responsibility is to promote the
>Amateur service.
>
>Kim Elmore, N5OP

...and the fact that they're not willing to fight the good fight for
the GENERAL welfare of the radio spectrum
says a lot.

It's part of the explanation for the fact that amateurs aren't
respected and courted by the FCC, FAA, DoD,
etc. like we were when I was first licensed.

When ARRL fought to dumb down licensing requirements they did us no
favors; they traded quality of the
licensee for larger numbers of licensees.

To those who say to me "Ya gotta support the ARRL because it's all
we've got", I have to say simply that
if ARRL is all we've got, then we have absolutely NOTHING of any value.

I let my membership lapse and wrote off the League 40 years ago. I've
never once regretted the move. ARRL
has lived up to (or is it slunk DOWN to?) my worst expectations.

Mr. T., W9LBB