[AMRadio] BPL and the ARRL

EdwMullin at aol.com EdwMullin at aol.com
Sat Jul 19 08:50:22 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/18/2008 10:26:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Steve  WD8DAS
writes:
>i find it very interesting how the ARRL has changed the  nature of their
>

>It started out as a worthy fight against  yet another RFI problem from
>devices that aren't supposed to  radiate.  Over time their effort has
>"morphed" into a drive to get  BPL operators to notch out the ham bands
>only and let the rest of the  spectrum go to the dogs.  I wonder why?

First, I am no fan of tha Leage. But from a realistic point of view,
There is no real way to completely stop BPL.  There are too  many forces
commited to trying to deploy it.
>From a tactical prespective, if you can't stop your opponent, denying him
key terrain (frequencies) is the next best thing. Espescially when the ARRL does
 not have limitless legal/financial resources. So it was smart to alter the
objective of the effort to something that was obtainable within a  reasonable
amount of money and work.

>I am against all forms of  unnecessary radio noise from unlicensed
>devices - not just those in the  ham bands.  And I am a bit surprised
>that the League has narrowed  its objective in this way.  Maybe it makes
>it easier to declare  "mission accomplished"!

Frankly, I'm with you on this one.  I find that people (companies and
governments) usually don't care a lick about RF noise generated by thier  equipment.
  I try to make the point by explaining that electrically  noisy equipment
may be ready to fail, inefficient, or dangerous depending on the  situation.
Sometime is works sometimes not.

>And, it should be noted that getting a few thousand bucks  back from the
>FCC doesn't do anything to stop BPL.  The FCC hasn't  changed a thing...
>
>Steve WD8DAS

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.