[AMRadio] BPL and the ARRL

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Sat Jul 19 11:38:54 EDT 2008

Kim wrote:

>This is simply an unfair assertion. It is not the ARRL's job to be
>the Omniscient Spectrum Protector. Most of the spectrum is not the
>Amateur's to protect.

I disagree.  I asserted that the League has changed its role, and
speculated on reasons that might have happened - not that the role of
the ARRL should be as "Omniscient Spectrum Protector."

I see the role of ARRL as representative of the membership.  And my
experience has been that the membership tends to be interested in the
entire radio spectrum.  For example, many, many of the hams that enjoy
operating AM also are avid listeners to utility and broadcast stations
elsewhere in the spectrum.  And I personally embrace the idea that the
Amateur is a leader in at least the philosophies and policies of
electronics and communications, and can offer guidance to all sides - a
sort of liaison between the general population and the government and
corporations on these subjects.

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/