[AMRadio] Which Bands for Summer AM?

Mike Duke, K5XU k5xu at comcast.net
Sat Jul 19 20:21:18 EDT 2008

I'm sure the static level was just as high when I was an SWL in the mid and
late 60s as it is today, but I lived on 40 meters at night during the
summer. That's where I copied my first CW over the air.

Despite the multiple occurrences of Voice of America, Radio Moscow, BBC,
Radio Prague, and others, there was still a lot of aAM activity on 40 at
night until about 1968 or so.

The SSB activity was also pretty solid. I'm convinced there were more
signals crammed into the space between 7.2 and 7.3 than there are now that
the phone band has been expanded to 7.125.

I now here very little AM activity on 40 meters, either day or night, and it
looks like everybody has abandoned 14.286 altogether.

As for that other AM band, my local BC station signed off at sunset. So, for
me it was Art Roberts on WLS from Chicago, and Rob Robins on KAAY out of
Little Rock.

Will anyone else here admit to listening to Beaker Street, hosted by Clyde
Clifford on KAAY?

Those "head bangers" don't have anything on the Beaker Street gang!

Mike Duke, K5XU