[AMRadio] RE:Finaly got the "Dream Rig"

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 09:41:04 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:08 PM, M. K. Hess <volim63 at gte.net> wrote:

> At my old station I used to lay on a few coats of car wax whenever I was bored.... Is it only me? :-)

I was at the other end, Mike. I drove the microphone at an old FM
station that ran a surplus GATES military transmitter driven by a ten
watt exciter. No chrome or glass, just a light Navy gray monolith.
Used to enjoy tuning it up for more PO on Sunday night, which made it
prone to over-modulating which knocked us off the air. Recycle time
was only a few minutes, but I finally stopped messing with it and
stuck to playing with the knobs in the studios. Recently found our old
Collins 212B console at a hamfest and hauled it home. It was easy to
spot as it was painted electric blue and had a HB perfboard in place
of the original pres and program amps.

One thing to keep in mind with running a converted BC transmitter is
that it is intermittent service, not full-strap 24/7. Cooling
shouldn't be a problem, though proper ventilation and a decent blower
or two are always a plus. Was working on the 300G last night and is
amazes me how much air the two-squirrel blower moves.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ