[AMRadio] RE:Finaly got the "Dream Rig"

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 10:28:20 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Bob Peters <rwpeters at swbell.net> wrote:
> We are probably getting off track here but I worked in Maine at WPBC-FM
> and WHOU- AM/FM in the late 70's. Both beautiful music format from a
> company in RI that programmed the tapes. Did Morning drive on PBC in
> Bangor Maine were it took no one over 5 minutes to get to work  LOL But
> it was an early gig...

Back in the 80s I used to get WIGY-FM Lewiston/Auburn quite nicely in
Montpelier two states away. Also WBLM Bath/Brunswick and sometimes
WJBQ out of Portland. All FM stations, and it still amazes me that I
could pick them up in a hole down next to the river, hundreds of miles
away. It went against everything they taught my about FM signals!

No tape machines beyond the typical carts at the place I hung around.
Our stuff was old. My memory of those big carousels is a lot like what
digital is to amateur radio today: cold, impersonal, and not much
chance for interaction unless you're the tech who has to service the
beast. And those tape carousels required some work.

We had an old green, floor-standing Ampex (or Ampeg?) reel-to-reel in
the production studio through the window to the broadcast booth. I
discovered one night that by throwing a few toggles and leaving the
doors to both studios open, I could get this wonderful reverb effect
through the amp of the tape deck and back through the mic in the
studio. Sounded cool in my headset. And at 22 years of age, 'cool' was
all-important.

Sunday nights were sloooow in the backwoods of Vermont.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ