[AMRadio] Has anyone seen one of these?

BILL GUYGER bguyger at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 27 21:10:56 EDT 2008

Hi All
I was given a very homebrew AM rig dating from the late 40's as my best guess because it has massive amounts of WW II surplus parts. Its pretty basic,100TH final driven by a 807 with a 6AG7 oscillator. But there was something that looks like it was bought at Dr. Electro's Traveling Radio Show. It's Dr. Electro's Magical Miracle Mystery Modulation Transformer!

OK....I'm being sarcastically facetious. What someone did was to try to make their own high(er) power modulation transformer. There was a roughly cubical metal box with a fiber board top. The top had 5 terminals mounted to it for the primary and secondary connections. The top mounted to the box with 4 sheet metal screws, and by the time I got it after it had sat in a garage in Waco for 40+ years the fiber board was soaked with oil.

I opened the top and found a 50-60 watt Stancor Mod. transformer sitting on a piece of 1/2 " plywood with cardboard pieces packing the rest of the box. There were also bits of steel stock that looked like machine shop scrap because they had been turned. The whole thing had been filled with transformer oil  (which had turned to gelatinous goo) and a couple of holes had been drilled in the covers of the Stancor transformer to allow oil to fill its innards.

I'm guessing that this might have been something that was sold in one of those little ads in the back of QST or some such.  I'm also guessing that the metal pieces packed into the box along with the transformer were supposed to enhance the magnetic properties of the transformer somehow.

Has anyone else seen something like this?

73's!

Bill AD5OL