Roger Basford roger at new-gate.co.uk
Sat Jun 7 06:08:33 EDT 2008

Hi Rick,

I used to come across those in some high-voltage PSUs made by EG&G, we used
them for seismic acoustic sources offshore. I think that they are strings of
diodes and, possibly, snubber resistors but the potting they used is pretty
resistant to solvents or heat, so they're virtually unrepairable, I remember
trying to fix one at sea! The forward resistance should be equivalent to the
number of individual diodes they used, so the normal few ohms you get from a
modern diode would be perhaps ten-fold on the blocks. If they are O/C both
ways,
then at least one diode has bit the dust.

You could simply substitute a chain of something like 1N5408 diodes instead.

73

Roger/G3VKM