[AMRadio] Diode Blocks

wa4tukhr wa4tukhr at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 12:37:09 EDT 2008

You'll need more voltage to test a diode string than a common DVM or VOM
supplies.  For each junction with diodes are in series you'll need about
0.7 volts each to just begin forward conduction.

A hi-pot tester would be ideal, but you could use a DC bench supply etc.
at a much lower voltage just to see if the diode string is open. The
To-6 capacitor tester in other recent posting could be used to test
diodes strings using the cap leakage function up to (probably) 600
volts. Be sure to use a current limiting resistor but one way should
conduct (be very leaky) and the other way should block (no leakage).

Pat
wa4tuk