[AMRadio] Life in the mid to late '30s

k0ng at inebraska.com k0ng at inebraska.com
Mon Jun 9 12:30:26 EDT 2008

JT:  I have no personal experience in 1930's but, I have read each page of my
QST mags over and over. I wanted to put together a 1950 style station and I
put together lists of common station equipment from the era and generally
concluded that there was no "one" most common pair that stood out. If I added
up each type of transmitter and each type of receiver (not necessarily used
together) that told me the most popular transmitter and receiver. For the
most part (unless you were well heeled) receivers were "hand me downs" from
unknown sources and were almost always older than a companion commercial
transmitter. Homebrew transmitters were in the 60-70 % area.

My conclusion was to pick whatever you could find from the era and put it
together, homebrew or commercial, depending upon your performance
expectations.
Since my family was not well heeled,I choose low end equipment.

I suggest you spend some time with old QST or other books, then make a
decision.
QST is available on CD from ARRL.

Have fun.  Charlie,  K0NG.