[AMRadio] Life in the mid to late '30s

WA5AM Radio ars.w5ami at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 13:00:50 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 9:43 AM, JT Croteau <jt.n1ese at gmail.com> wrote:

> How did a new ham back in the mid to late 1930's typically get on the
> air?  I imagine he'd probably have been loaned a receiver and perhaps
> a handbook to use while he built his own transmitter?  Would a novice
> have built his own receiver as well or would this have been uncommon?
>
> I'd like to put together a vintage shack from this era.  I'm just
> trying to determine if I should just buy a receiver such as an RME-69
> or HRO and homebrew the rest of the station.
>
> --
> JT Croteau, N1ESE

Here is a link to some photos of a "time capsule ham shack" from the
late 30's.  It was pretty much left untouched until about 1997 or so.
There are pics of the old shack along with an article I wrote in '97
about some of the history behind it.  I got the transmitter and some
other things from that estate, but not all of it.

http://amfone.net/ECSound/BartlesvilleTX/bvilletx.htm

Brian / wa5am