[AMRadio] Re: mid 30s ham radio

Ron Lawrence W4RON W4RON at carolina.rr.com
Mon Jun 9 17:50:20 EDT 2008

About 15 years ago I got interested in building a vintage 30s ham station.
I happened to luck onto a factory built transmitter from 1934.
I bought the entire decade of QSTs for the 1930s.
And I talked to several old time hams that were there and on the air
in the 30s.
Things I learned from all this;
Very few hams had factory built gear unless they had serious
money. This was during the depression and money was very tight.
If a young ham could scrape up the money he would by a National
SW3 receiver, probably the most common ham receiver during the
30s. If he had money the best of the best was a National HRO.
Transmitters were fairly easy to build, go through the 30s QSTs and
you'll find lots of info.
If you want vintage stuff, it's out there all you have to do is look.

If you'll go to this page and scroll down a little you'll see the 30s
station
I put together, http://radioheaven.homestead.com/displayroom.html

73, Ron