[AMRadio] Re: mid 30s ham radio

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 09:04:38 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Ron Lawrence W4RON
<W4RON at carolina.rr.com> wrote:

> And I talked to several old time hams that were there and on the air
> in the 30s.
> Things I learned from all this;
> Very few hams had factory built gear unless they had serious
> money. This was during the depression and money was very tight.

Also, if you look at publications from the day (QST, RADIO/R9, etc),
you'll see that there wasn't a lot of commercial gear available
either. Like any technology, the early years = high prices for the
products w/limited availability to most. No doubt the depression
helped put the skids on amateur radio's progression from a commercial
perspective.

Of course, the flip side is the skill and creativity required to
participate then resulted in some interesting and even spectacular HB
gear still found and enjoyed today. As a ham's knowledge and income
advanced, so did his gear. I suspect buying yourself the RME69 or HRO
then would be the equivalent of one of those $10K whiz-bang rigs
today: some could always afford it, most could not.

That Bartlesville transmitter story is fantastic. To be able to step
back in time - actually entering a time capsule of sorts - filled with
such interesting gear and left as it was then, well...anyone
interested in the history of radio would be envious but also thrilled
at the prospect.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ