[AMRadio] Life in the mid to late '30s

JT Croteau jt.n1ese at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 14:26:03 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 2:12 PM, QED Consultants <qed at hughes.net> wrote:
> I was assuming he was a younger ham, other wise he would not have posed
> the question.

You are correct, I turn 36 later this month.  When I had asked the
question, I had good idea of the commercial rigs at that time.  Most
of them were receivers and there were very few transmitters.  I had
assumed that most folks built their own transmitters but wasn't sure
how many built their own receivers as well as there seemed to be a
decent selection of low-end to high-end receivers available along with
some mid-range receivers by 1939.

I have a 1936 handbook on the way along with a complete set of QST's
from 1934.  I've pretty much decided I will be building my own
transmitter unless something like a Utah UAT-1 falls in my lap.  Still
trying to decide on what to do for a receiver.  I have a line on an
early HQ-120X for a fair price that is tempting.  It is complete
although it has had some minor mods done to it.

--
JT Croteau, N1ESE