[AMRadio] SB-200 on AM

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Tue Jun 10 14:51:54 EDT 2008

John, I used an SB 201 behind a Kenwood TS-430 for some years.  I
didn't have any problems running about 125-150 watts carrier and
modulating the Kenwood properly.  When I was using it, I didn't have
my plate modulated stuff set up because of space limitations.  Just
be sensitive to tune up and then set the carrier out to be within
the parameters of the tubes in the amp.  About 125 to 150 is about
all you would want to use.

With the Kenwood the thing to watch was setting the carrier low
enough to make the collector current advance rather than fall.  It
was tricky to get the carrier set then set the mic gain to give that
meter indication.  Do it right and you will have a fine sounding
signal.

Jim/W5JO