[AMRadio] SB-200 on AM

Bob Carpenter bcarpenter_tpc at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 10 16:56:37 EDT 2008

John,
I have not had a SB 200 in A.M. service, but have used a 811 three tube
model with a Kenwood 140S and a D-104. Received great reports on 75 meters
and 40 meters using a 75 meter dipole and 450 ohm latter line. The 140 has a
adjustable power output control , and I would load the amp after tuning with
about 20 to 30 watts and get out 200 watt or so, could do more if needed,
however, not much gain between 200 and 300 watts. Trick seems to be getting
a good mike with wide freq range and adjusting mike gain to keep it within
the ALC, watch you output meter in the tuner and keep it swinging forward at
voice peaks, should it stop swinging forward your hitting it too hard, back
off the mike or the gain.
73 have fun

Bob Carpenter
KB4wec      -----Original Message-----